Cookies

We uses cookies in order to help us improve this site. You can read our cookie policy here.

Close

Welcome to Brinkhill
Brinkhill Slide 1 Brinkhill Slide 2 Brinkhill Slide 3 Brinkhill Slide 4
Brinkhill History

Brinkhill is a small village in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated in the south of the Wolds and in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Brinkhill History Group was formed in 2002. Membership is open to any current or former resident of the village. The aim of the group is to research, record and report on all aspects of the historical development of the community and the surrounding area of the Parish of Brinkhill.

Old documents and maps obtained from various county archives and private collections, the census, parish records, trade directories and people's memories form the basis for much of the research. We have published a book about the village. More recently we have begun archaeological research within the parish to look for evidence and the extent of former settlement and activity.

All research is written up and oral history is recorded on tape. Where possible this is made available to the wider public e.g. we produced the information and design for the permanent Interpretation board located in the village. We have held several exhibitions in St Philip's, the village church. We have submitted archaeological reports to the appropriate bodies, following the digging of several test pits in the village.

Over the years we have assembled a large collection of old photographs of people, buildings and activities associated with the village from the late 19th century onwards. This is an extremely valuable resource and is being added to continuously.

Brinkhill History

Brinkhill, spelt 'Brincle', is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name is derived from the Old English 'Brinc(e)' meaning the brink of a hill or steep slope.

There is evidence of human settlement and activity in and around Brinkhill since the Stone Age or Neolithic period, with the discovery of flint and stone axes and chipped stone tools in village gardens and fields. There is a section of Roman road to the north of the village and recent surveys (Anglian water) have indicated the existence of Roman burial grounds to the north of the Church. The road was part of the highway which ran from the Roman East Gate at Lindum Colonia (Lincoln) through the southern Wolds to Burgh Le Marsh. Only a small section of this road, which disappears to the west of Tetford and reappears at Ulceby, has survived at Brinkhill. Along the road and immediate surrounds as well as Roman pottery and artefacts, there have been finds of pottery shards belonging to the middle Saxon period.

Brinkhill is unique in that there are three moated sites within the village, which are now Scheduled Monuments. It is thought that they were built in the late 13th early 14th Centuries for reasons of safety and/or flood management or food(fish) production or fashion. There has been no archaeological work to determine their precise construction and usage.

From Medieval times to the beginning of the 20th Century the inhabitants of Brinkhill were primarily engaged in farming/smallholding. Since that time, in common with all others, Brinkhill is a mixture of 'big' farming, small businesses, retirees and commuters.

St Phillips Church
St Philips Church

There is no reference to the existence of a Church at Brinkhill in the Domesday Book (1086). The earliest record is the appointment of Richard De Bromholm to the living in 1245, by the Bishop of Lincoln. Since this time there has been an uninterrupted line of incumbents of the Church of St Philips, albeit with some gaps in actual incumbent names.

The Church is dedicated to the Apostle Philip who came from the city of Bethsaida in Galilee, as did Andrew and Peter. Philip was a witness to the miracle of the loaves and fishes, and later preached in Greece, Syria and Phrygia. He was crucified in the city of Hierapolis.

The base of the churchyard cross dates from the 15th century, and the present day brick, stone and slate Church was built on the foundations of a thatched stone building in the 19thcentury. It is aligned West to East with a South facing Porch, a Nave with a bell at its west end and Chancel. There is an attached Vestry and Hall to the North of the Nave which was added in 1988.

Events at Brinkhill

Here there are references to past and future events and/or activities.

Events

Filter Events:

There was an error loading the calendar.

Event Details

Please select an event from the calendar above to see more information about it.

Kids Zone

Under construction.

Contact Brinkhill

We would like to hear from anyone who has links with Brinkhill. We are happy to respond to any enquiries from family historians about their Brinkhill ancestors and to receive information from people who have done their own research. If you are seeking information or have something to share please contact us.